Granola, fruit and Greek yogurt is a snack standard in each of our homes! The tart yogurt is offset by the sweet crunch of the granola combined with seasonal fresh fruits. Berries, peaches, bananas, apples...whatever the season offers! Yummmmmm……! The thing is, store-bought granola often comes laden with excess added sugars, preservatives, and who knows what else?! Coach Mary remembered eating her mom’s homemade granola as she was growing up. Yummy. Crunchy.
Skip the store-bought granola and whip some up at home using ingredients you likely have on hand already right inside your own home.
After a quick search through her recipe binder, Mary came up with the recipe her mom used! Here it is for all of you to use, modify, and enjoy!
- 4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl
- Mix oil, honey, salt until well dissolved
- Mix oil/honey/salt into dry ingredients and stir until well combined
- Spread mixture onto the baking sheet in an even layer
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently with a fork for even browning.
- Cool in pan stirring occasionally
- Store in airtight container
- Nuts: pick one or more! sliced almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts
- Dried fruit (add after baking while granola is cooling): raisins, cranberries, blueberries, apricots, dates
Recommended serving size: 1/2 cup
You may know that we are BIG believers in eating real food, that you clean, wash, assemble and/or cook yourself! Taking the time to make something as simple as this granola recipe will make you feel accomplished AND fuel your body in a healthy way! We offer many FREE ways to get inspired on the food, health and wellness front. Maybe you would consider eating a rainbow? Check it out here: http://www.guide.newstartforme.com. Eating different colored fruits and veggies every day will bring just as much joy as this granola! We promise!
We are SO excited for you to try this recipe and we want to hear how it goes for you. Leave a comment or send us a picture of your Crunchy Granola!