You can spend hours at the gym fighting for flatter abs, maybe even for 6 pack abs, but if your diet isn’t focused, then the struggle to get the results you desire will be, well, longer than it needs to be. So, let’s not do that!
Let’s jump start your plan to get those 6 pack abs with the right foods and recipes that are perfect for a flatter tummy and stronger abs. Perhaps you’ve heard it said, “Abs are made in the kitchen.”
It’s true! The belly is one of the toughest parts of the body to tighten and tone. Ok, so not everyone wants 6 pack abs, but I find that most clients DO want to get rid of belly fat and at the very least be tighter and more toned in the tummy.
This takes commitment and mindfulness in the kitchen. First, let’s look at some general guidelines for healthy meals that will help tone your body and stomach area.
General Food Guidelines
Consider these next couple items as an overarching point of view for your food philosophy for life, not just for a 6 pack.
Food groups to include in your diet for flatter abs
- Focus on fiber. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, especially in raw form, will give you the fiber you need to support your goal.
- Stick to natural foods, rather than processed items. Most grocery stores keep natural foods, such as fruits, veggies, eggs, meat, and dairy, along with the edges of the store. You might want to venture into the middle for some minimally processed items, like rice, beans, healthy oils, and spices.
- Eat Breakfast. Yep. I had to say it. Why? Because eating breakfast will give you a fighting chance to avoid the things I’m going to talk about next. Read all about breakfast and its amazing health benefits here.
Foods To Avoid While Growing a 6 Pack:
- Sugar and Salt. The double whammy of inflammation and bloat. Excessive sugar and salt in your diet will blow you up like a balloon, keeping your 6 pack abs progress well hidden. Keep these to a minimum and you’ll be golden. Processed foods are a big culprit here. Stick to fresh, homemade foods and you will be in a great position to succeed here.
- Alcohol. Beer belly anyone? Need I say more? Thought not. Still, want to enjoy an adult beverage now and again? No problem! Plan it out, stick to the plan, and keep it clean on the other days. You CAN have a cocktail and a 6 pack too.
- Fats. I go into detail here. Pay attention to trans fats, hydrogenated oils, and excessive fats overall. Remember, “healthy fats” are still fats. Keep the fat in check. Just enough, is enough.
Foods to Add to Your Grocery List
Make these foods a standing order for every week:
- Chili peppers. Chili peppers should be at the top of your grocery list for 6 pack abs. They’re spicy, can kick up any recipe, and can boost metabolism. The capsaicin in chili peppers may also help you burn fat as you reach for flatter abs.
- Yogurt. The protein in yogurt can keep you full for long periods, so you’re not tempted to eat junk food. Yogurt also has other nutrients that can help you get a flatter stomach, like probiotics and calcium. Probiotics help your digestive system stay healthy. Calcium has been linked to flatter 6 pack abs, not just strong bones! Win-Win!
- Cauliflower. This white vegetable has sulforaphane, a nutrient that has been linked to lower belly fat because it can reduce fat cells. Cauliflower also has high fiber, so you’ll feel full and have a stronger digestive system.
- Green tea. Green tea is mostly known for its powerful antioxidants, but it also has fat-fighting power. Studies show that it promotes a higher metabolism. It can also give you more energy, so you can finish your workouts to get
Consider Your Entire Diet
Although adding these specific foods will help you get a flatter stomach, it’s important to look at your overall diet for best results.
Simply adding more yogurt or green tea isn’t enough if your overall meal plans aren’t healthy.
Your body needs nutritional support to fight fat and show 6 pack abs. Include protein, carbs, and healthy fats at each meal. Ensure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals from your food and drinks.
For best results, plan your meals ahead of time. This will help you avoid grabbing items from vending machines or fast food that doesn’t support your goal.
Give yourself a fighting chance!
Follow these tips for getting
We offer a steady stream of insights, tips, tricks, workouts, recipes and MORE all geared toward living your healthiest best life ever. We’d love for you to Click Here to sign up for our FREE Health Newsletter. You will love it!